Tangy Vegan Cheese Fondue | December 22, 2009
Nothing brings people together like a fondue party. There is something process of eating fondue that satisfy all primal instincts. Stabbing an unsuspecting piece of bread from across the table with a long skewer, then cautiously dunking it in a bubbly pot of melted cheese. This recipe was tested at a fondue party along side conventional (and very fattening) cheese fondue, and this recipe stole the lime light, or well, fondue skewer. It works well with a rustic crusty bread or fresh veggies such as carrots and celery.
- 2 cup white wine (or 1 cup rice vinegar plus one cup water)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 4 tablespoons arrowroot or cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons onion granules
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
- Put all of the ingredients into a blender.Blend for a few minutes. Ensure that the oats are ground until fine. You are aiming for a smooth consistency.
- Pour this mixture into a heavy-based saucepan. Bring to the boil whilst stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for a few minutes. Continue to stir.
- Keep cooking until the mixture turns thick and smooth.
- Prepare the fondue pot. Pour in the vegan fondue and keep warm in the usual fashion for fondue. It might also help to add a sign denoting which fondue is vegan if this is being shared at a fondue party.
- Provide bread and other accompanying food that is vegan friendly.