Growing up with my Betty Crocker cooking bible, I learned that baking involved oodles of butter and eggs, and the idea of baking without them was a bit confounding. But I am deeply intrigued by vegan baking, and have been on an endless hunt for new substitutions. My frilly apron has transformed into a lab coat, and each dish is a new edible experiment.
I have been dying to try chocolate and beets together, as I think their flavors complement each other well. The beets also add quite a bit of moisture to the brownie, with out the use of butter.
The only caveat for me here is that is calls for granulated sugar. I’m not a huge advocate for refined sugar, and recommend replacing the sugar with a natural sweetener. I use Sucanat for baked goods that have a rich flavor, it works perfectly with chocolate recipes like this. Also, refined white sugar in the US is not vegan at all. The final step in processing sugar cane is filtering it with charcoal, usually from animal origins. If “Fat American Ass” syndrome and Type 2 Diabetes isnt enough to make you switch the sweetners, maybe this is.
1 cup flour (you can use half whole wheat flour here, if you prefer)
3/4 cup cocoa powder (Make sure it is vegan! I prefer dark cocoa powder.)
1 1/4 cups sugar (or Sucanat, as noted above)
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cups chocolate chips (optional)
1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1/3 cup soy milk or rice milk
1/3 cup extra light olive oil
1/4 cup silken tofu (for soy free version replace with one ripe banana)
1/3 cup shredded beet.
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. In large bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, sugar (or Sucanat), baking powder, salt, walnuts and chocolate chips.
3. In a blender, blend the soy milk, oil, tofu (or banana) and vanilla.
4. Add blended mixture to the flour mixture in the large bowl and stir until just combined. Batter will be thick.
5. Spread batter out evenly into an 8-inch square, oiled baking dish.
6. Bake for 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.